The Coppola Collection inventory project has been funded in part by Mass Humanities, which receives support from the Massachusetts Cultural Council and is an affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Anthony H. Coppola Collection
Series 1: Anthony H. Coppola
Sub-Series 2: Anthony H. Coppola’s Volumes

Volume 1

 
  History of Places and Homes in the Town of Douglas – 1959 – Lucius J. Marsh Jr.

Volume 2

 
  Deed – Dr. William Douglass to the District of Douglass – May 8, 1750

  Obituary of Dr. Douglass – reverse of above page for particulars

  1.  A Particular Account of Douglass – 1793 – Peter Whitney

  2.  Douglas – 1860 – Correspondent for the New England Farmer

  3.  Douglas Historical Notes – 1873 – William A. Emerson

  4.  Douglas, a Brief History – 1873 – The Gazetteer of Massachusetts

  5.  Douglas, a Comprehensive History – 1879 – William A. Emerson

  6.  Historical Sketch of Douglas – 1890 – Booklet “Leading Business Men of East Douglas”

  7.  Historical Sketch of Douglas – 1913 – Charles J. Batcheller

  8.  Douglas, Yesterday and Today – 1946 – T. Eaton

  9.  Douglas, 200 Years of History – 1946 – Ivan Sandorf

  10.  Famous Axeheads Cut Douglas – 1964 – Clarence A. Gagne

  11.  Douglas, a Description of Old Areas – 1970 – Anthony H. Coppola

  12.  Douglas Looks to 225th Year – 1970 – Charlotte E. Coppola

Volume 3

 
  1.  Historical Notes on the Town of Douglas – 1976 – Charlotte E. Coppola

  2.  History of the Mumford River Lodge A.F. and A.M. Building – 1977 – Anthony H. Coppola

  3.  Fiftieth Anniversary of Alumni Association – 1959 – Lucius J. Marsh Jr.

  4.  History of the Douglas School System – 1957 – William A. Perkins Jr.

Volume 4

 
  1.  Washington Passes Through Douglas – November 7, 1789

  2.  The Hanging of the Three Thayers – June 17, 1825

  3.  Centennial Fourth of July Celebration – 1876

  4.  The Lee and Murdock Mill Fire – July 17, 1880

  5.  Old Home Week – July 28, 29, 1903.  Three accounts.

  6.  Dedication of the Simon Fairfield Public Library – Jan. 28, 1904

  7.  The Central Block and Methodist Church Fire – Mar. 13, 1904.  Two accounts.

  8.  Dedication of the Schuster Mill – Dec. 20, 1904.  Two accounts.

  9.  Axe Shop Fire at the Howe Works – Oct. 17, 1906.  Two accounts.

  10.  Parade of the Horribles – July 4, 1907.

  11.  Dedication of the Two Soldiers' Monuments – Sept. 19, 1908

  12.  The Thayer Block Fire – Feb. 21, 1909

  13.  Hayward and Schuster Mills Baseball Game – July 10, 1909

  14.  East Douglas' First Christmas Tree – 1868

  15.  200th Anniversary of the First Congregational Church – Oct. 4, 1947

  16.  The Hiram Walker Story – July 1, 1964

  17.  Douglas Rails and the Ghost Train – Dec. 17, 1969

  18.  The E.N. Jenckes Country Store – Aug. 30, 1972

  19.  The 100th Anniversary of the Douglas Camp Meeting Association – July 23, 1975

  20.  History of the Hayward Woolen Company – Dec. 12, 1956

Volume 5

 
  1.  Attempt to Collect Payment – 1794

 

2.  Demand Notes – 1794, 1795
Demand Notes  –  1799, 1804

 

3.  Cases before the Justice of the Peace – 1802
Journey by Oxen – 1795; Delivery of Flax – 1799

 

4.  Contract to Build House – 1804; Request for Road – 1806
Fees for Court Case – 1807

 

5.  Notice from the Selectmen – 1859
Notice to the Highway Surveyor for District No. 5 – 1859

 

6.  Purchase of the Pew Ground in the Meeting House – 1805
Congregational Society Taxes – 1806 – 1806 – 1807

 

7.  Highway Taxes – 1797 – 1805 – 1804
School House Tax – 1805; Library Tax – 1808

 

8.  Town Taxes – 1803
Town Taxes – 1803 – 1804

 

9.  Town Taxes – 1842 – 1849
Town Taxes – 1853 – 1867

 

10.  Town and Related Taxes – 1877 – 1886
Letter by Courier – 1807

 

11.  Monies Expended – 1809

 

12.  Monies Expended – 1810
Book of Accounts – 1830

 

13.  Book of Credit – 1848
Book of Credit – 1851; Account Book – 1855

 

14.  Snow Removal – 1861
Post Office Box Rents – 1871 – 1872

 

15.  Post Office Box Rents – 1873 – 1875
Post Office Box Rents – 1872 – 1879

 

16.  Doctor Visits – 1884 – 1910
Doctor's Visit & Medicine  –   1807; S. Russell's Drugstore Recp't – 1875

 

17.  Dog Licenses – 1896 – 1911
Dog Licenses – 1913 – 1928

 

18.  The Advertiser Publication – Feb. 1, 1874

 

19.  The Advertiser Publication – April 1, 1874

 

20.  Our Home Journal Publication – May, 1877

 

21.  Our Home Journal Publication – July, 1877

Volume 6

 
  1.  Decoration Day Programme – May 30, 1876

  2.  Miss Helen Potter, Impersonator – Feb. 21, 1883

  3.  The Old Homestead, Street Sprinkler Fund Benefit – Feb. 11, 1892

  3a.  Highway Surveyor, Taxes – 1869; Lot at Evergreen Cemetery – 1885

  4.  Public Library Benefit – Nov. 24, 1892

  5.  Public Library Benefit – Thanksgiving Night – 1895
Public Library Benefit – Nov. 26, 1896

 

6.  McKinley and Hobert, Political Rally – Nov. 10, 1896

 

6a.  The Stolen Will, Drama – 1913; The Lady Minstrels – 1895
Christmas Bells Publication, Methodist Church – Dec. 1901

 

7.  Old Home Week Programme – July 28, 29, 1903

 

8.  Dedication Ball, Schuster Woolen Company – Dec. 20, 1904

  8a.  Voting Ballots – 1900 – 1909; Also 1900 to 1909; Also 1880

  9.  Dedication of the Soldiers' Civil War Monument – Sept. 19, 1908

  10.  School of Good Behavior Awards – 1867; Appointment of Teacher – April 12, 1880

  11.  School Art Exhibit Tickets – Oct. 22, 1904; Promotion Card – June, 1902
High School Graduation Programmes – 1882 – 1892

 

12.  High School Graduation Programmes –  1893 (1894 Memorial Day)
High School Graduation Programmes – 1903 – 1904

 

13.  High School Graduation Programmes – 1906 – 1909
Parent and Teachers Field Day Program – July 4, 1922

 

14.  New Town Hall Dedication – Feb. 24, 1923
Douglas Schools, Musical Festival Program – May 25, 1911

 

15.  Memorial Concert, Hon. Winfield S. Schuster – Mar. 17, 1923
Deed of Trust, Second Congregational Church – 1864

 

16.  Tickets for Various Affairs – 1880 to 1910

 

17.  Christian Endeavor Meeting – Dec. 18, 1893, Epworth League – 1909
Greeting Cards – 1890 to 1920

 

18.  Greeting Cards – 1890 to 1920
Greeting Cards – 1890 to 1920

 

19.  Greeting Cards – 1890 to 1920
Greeting Cards – 1890 to 1920

Volume 7

 

  1.  Douglas Businesses listed in the State Records – 1852

  2.  Chas. J. Batcheller, Emerson's Perpetual Arch Calendar – 1874

  3.  Smith & Heath Account Book – 1875

  4.  Leading Business Men of East Douglas – 1890

  5.  Various Business Letterheads – 1887 to 1925

  6.  Various Business Letterheads – 1887 to 1925

  7.  Various Business Letterheads – 1887 to 1925

  8.  Various Business Letterheads – 1887 to 1925

  9.  Various Business Letterheads – 1887 to 1925

  10.  Various Business Letterheads – 1887 to 1925

  11.  Various Business Letterheads – 1887 to 1925

  12.  Swamp Root Almanac, H.C. Holden, Druggist – 1916

Volume 8

 
  1.  The Douglas Herald Newspaper

  2.  The Advertiser Publication

  3.  The Woonsocket Patriot Newspaper

  4.  Our Home Journal Publication

  5.  The Uxbridge Compendium Newspaper

  Above are from 1868 to 1905

Volume 9

 
  1.  Town of Douglas, 200th Anniversary – 1746 to 1946 – H.T. Eaton

  2.  Worcester South Chronicles – 1670 to 1876, published in 1877; 
History of the First Congregational Church, Rev. W.W. Dow 
History of the Second Congregational Church, from Church Manual

 

3.  175th Anniversary of the First Congregational Church – Dec. 5, 1922

 

4.  Bi – Centennial of the First Congregational Church, 1747 – 1947

  5.  Brief History of the Second Congregational Church – 1976

  6.  Dedication of St. Denis Church – Nov. 6, 1955.  History – Clarence A. Gagne.

  7.  100th Anniversary of St. Denis Parish, 1870 – 1970.  History C.A. Gagne

  East Douglas Evergreen Cemetery Company Deed of Land – Charles Potter – Nov. 18, 1885 

Volume 10

 
  1.  Douglas Historical Society – 1968 – History of Douglas by Lucius J. Marsh Jr.

  2.  Pictorial History of Douglas – 1934 – by Thomas B. Frank

  3.  Douglas Salutes America's 200 Years of Independence, 1776 – 1976, by Charlotte S. Coppola

  4.  100th Anniversary of Mumford River Lodge A. F. and A.M., 1877 – 1977; by Donald W. Nelson

  5.  50th Anniversary of the Simon Fairfield Public Library, June 7, 1954; by Lucius J. Marsh Jr.

  6.  75th Anniversary of the Simon Fairfield Public Library, Oct. 16 – 21, 1979; Histories by Charlotte E. Coppola and Dr. Raymond H. Spooner

  7.  Big Gene and the “Ghost Train”, Yankee Magazine, Feb. 1968

Volume 11

 
  Main Street, East Douglas

  1.  Bird's Eye View of Main Street – 1878

  2.  The Whiting Tavern

  3.  Main Street – 1895

  4.  Central Block, Methodist Church, Balcome Block – 1895

  5.  The People's Store in Central Block – 1895

  6.  Roller Skating Rink in Central Block – 1884

  7.  Central Block Fire – 1904

  8.  Central Block Fire – 1904

  9.  Central Block Fire – 1904

  10.  Present Methodist Church, Balcome Block – 1908

  11.  Main Street – 1895

  12.  Main Street – 1895

  13.  Thayer's Block – 1877

  14.  Thayer's Block, Mercier's Building, Chase Building, Paine Block – 1908

  15.  Thayer's Block Fire – 1909

  16.  Thayer's Block Fire – 1909

  17.  Thayer's Block Fire – 1909

  18.  Thayer's Block Fire – 1909

  19.  Thayer's Block Fire – 1909

Volume 12

 
  Main Street, East Douglas

  1.  The Knapp Building, Arcade – 1873

  Picture of Beer Bottle from T.J. Derham, East Douglas Hotel – picture by Peter Coppola

  2.  The Knapp Building, East Douglas Hotel – 1875

  3.  The Knapp Building, Livery Stable – 1900

  4.  Horrible's Parade – July 4, 1912

  5.  Amos Goodness Tobacco and Cigar Store – 1906

  6.  The Knapp Building, Goodness Tobacco Store, Hopkin's Block – 1912

  7.  Stillman Russell's Drugstrore – 1875

  8.  The East Douglas Pharmacy, Burt Plow Factory, Thayer Block, Chase Building, Paine Block, Central Block – 1897

  9.  The Starrett House (also known as the Joseph Lee House) – 1900

  10.  The Warren Hunt House, Francis Hunt House, Starrett House, Rogerson Building – 1900

  11.  The Starrett House, Francis Hunt House – 1900

  12.  The Rogerson Building, East Douglas Hotel, Knowlton Block, Hopkin's Block – 1909

  13.  The Francis Hunt House, Simon Fairfield Public Library, Rogerson Building, E.N. Jencke's Store – 1909

  14.  The E.N. Jencke's General Store – 1890

  14a.  The E.N. Jencke's General Store – 1900

  15.  The Warren Hunt House – 1910

  15a.  The Otis Hunt House – 1910 (side view)

  15b.  The Oliver Hunt House – 1900

  16.  The Walter E. Jones Hardware Store – 1920

  17.  The Fire King Engine Company – 1900

  18.  The Caleb Hill Tavern – 1895

  19.  The Logee Carriage Shop – 1910

  20.  The Douglas Washer

  21.  Patent Model of the Douglas Washer

Volume 13

 
  The Douglas Axe Manufacturing Company

  1.  A Brief History of the Company

  2.  Exhibit at the International Exposition, Paris – 1878

  3.  The Old Red Shop – 1878

  4.  Farm Buildings of the Axe Works – 1878

  5.  American Axe and Tool Company Office – 1898

  6.  American Axe and Tool Company Office – 1899

  7.  The Upper Works – 1878

  8.  The Upper Works – 1878

  9.  The Upper Works – 1910

  10.  The Upper Works – 1910

  11.  The Upper Works – 1910

  12.  The Lovett Shop – 1878

  13.  The Lovett Shop – 1885

  14.  The Lovett Shop – 1910

  15.  The Lovett Shop – 1920

  16.  Bridge, Dam and Sluiceway, Lovett Shop – 1923

  17.  The Howe Works – 1878

  18.  The Howe Works – 1885

  19.  The Howe Works – 1900

  20.  The Howe Works Fire – 1906

  21.  The Howe Works Fire – 1906

  22.  The Howe Works Fire – 1906

  23.  The Howe Works – 1910

  24.  The Howe Works – 1923

  25.  The Howe Works – 1923

  26.  Lower Village Pond and Howe Works – 1923

  27.  The Gilboa Works – 1878

  28.  The Gilboa Works – 1898

  29.  The Gilboa Works – 1898

Volume 14

 
  1.  The South Douglas Reformed Methodist Church – 1894

  2.  Interior of above Church – 1878

  3.  The Reformed Methodist Church – 1878

  4.  The Methodist Church – 1878

  5.  The Present Methodist Church, Balcome Block, Mechanic's Building – 1909

  6.  The Present Methodist Church – 1934

  7.  The Second Congregational Church – 1875

  8.  The Second Congregational Church – 1878

  9.  The St. Denis Catholic Church – 1878

  10.  The St. Denis Catholic Church – 1920

  11.  The St. Denis Catholic Church – 1934

  12.  The St. Denis Rectory – 1909

  13.  The Tassletop School House, South Douglas – 1915

  14.  The Citizen's Hall School House – 1875

  15.  Students at Citizen's Hall – 1892

  16.  Program of First Graduating Class of High School – 1879

  17.  Program of First Graduating Class of High School – 1879

  18.  Grade Students at the Old Town Hall – 1924

  19.  Central Hall Stage, Cast of Players – 1900

  20.  Central Hall Stage, Ribbon Drill Performers – 1900

  21.  The Long School House – 1898

  22.  Students at the Long School House – 1898

  23.  The Grammar (Elementary) School – 1909

  24.  The Wixtead Building Stage, Cast of Players – 1910

  25.  The Hayward – Schuster Memorial High School – 1926 – Wallum Pond Schoolhouse

Volume 15

 
  1.  Old Home Week – 1903

  2.  Masonic Hall – 1903

  3.  Masonic Hall – 1909

  4.  G.A.R. Hall, Samuel Sibley Post – 1909

  5.  Interior of G.A.R. Hall

  6.  Slovak Sokol Society Hall – 1934

  7.  Simon Fairfield Public Library – 1905

  8.  Miss Luther, Librarian – 1904

  9.  Town Hall – 1923

  10.  Soldiers' Monument – 1909

  11.  Dedication of Soldiers' Monument – 1908

  12.  Civil War Veterans

  13.  Welcome Home Day Parade – 1919

  14.  Welcome Home Day Parade – 1919

  15.  World War 1 Veterans – 1919

  16.  World War 1 Memorial – 1934

  17.  Memorial Day Parade – 1923

  18.  Memorial Day Exercises – 1923

  19.  World War 2 Honor Roll – 1946

  20.  Old Town Hall – 1984

  21.  Old Town Hall – 1984

Volume 16

 
  1.  East Douglas Railroad Station – 1920

  2.  East Douglas Railroad Station – 1912

  3.  Passenger Train of the NY, NH and Hartford R.R. – 1923

  4.  Freight Train and Passenger Train – 1920

  5.  Stone Arch Bridge – 1884

  6.  Stone Arch Bridge – 1945

  7.  Stone Arch Bridge – 1958

  8.  East Douglas Railroad Depot – 1950s

  9.  Construction of the Grand Trunk Line – 1912

  9a.  Construction of the Grand Trunk Line – 1912

  10.  The Stage – 1905

  11.  One of the Old Stages – 1946

  12.  The Hayward Woolen Mill – 1909

  13.  The Hayward Woolen Mill – Date Unknown

  14.  The Hayward Woolen Mill – 1920

  15.  The Hayward Woolen Mill – 1920

  16.  Designing Office of the Hayward Woolen Mill – 1935

  17.  The New Schuster Mill – 1904

  18.  The Wallis Lumber Company – 1934

  19.  The Ice Company at Wallum Pond – 1908

  20.  The Ice Company at Wallum Pond – 1908

  21.  The Ice Company at Wallum Pond – 1908

  22.  The Ice Company at Wallum Pond – 1908

  23.  The Ice Company at Wallum Pond – 1908

Volume 17

 
  1.  Mrs. Brown’s Boarding House – 1898

  2.  East Douglas Telephone Directory – 1907

  3.  J.W. Wixtead Delivery Wagon – 1910

  4.  Dudley’s Grove at Badluck Pond – 1890

  4a.  Badluck Pond Beach – 1900

  5.  The Whitin Reservoir – 1913

  6.  The Douglas Baseball Team – 1905

  7.  The Schuster Ball Club – 1928

  8.  The Brass Band – 1930s

  9.  Minstrel Show Cast – 1927

  10.  Minstrel Show End Men – 1930

  11.  Main Street – 1934

  12.  Main Street – 1946

  13.  Main Street – 1946

  14.  Map – Route of Douglas to Oxford Pike

  15.  Part of the Oxford Pike under the Whitin Reservoir – 1979

  16.  Part of the Oxford Pike under the Whitin Reservoir – 1979

  17.  Part of the Oxford Pike under the Whitin Reservoir – 1979

  18.  1938 Hurricane – Second Congregational Church

  19.  1938 Hurricane – Second Congregational Church

  20.  1938 Hurricane – Monument Square

  21.  1938 Hurricane – Main Street and School Court

  22.  1938 Hurricane – Rear of Second Congregational Church

  23.  1938 Hurricane – Main Street

  24.  1938 Hurricane – Main Street

  25.  1938 Hurricane – Depot Street

  26.  1938 Hurricane – Railroad Freight House

  27.  1938 Hurricane – Baseball Field Grandstand

Volume 18

 
  Old Douglas

  1.  Bird's Eye View of Douglas Center – 1878

  2.  The Old School House – 1916

  3.  The Common – 1912

  4.  Memorial Day – 1906

  4a.  Memorial Day – 1906

  5.  The First Congregational Church – 1878

  6.  The Blanchard House – 1913

  7.  The Manahan House – 1913

  8.  The Dudley Hotel – 1915

  9.  Dinner Ticket at Paul Dudley's Inn – 1823

  10.  Dinner Ticket at Paul Dudley's Inn – 1835

  11.  The John Dudley Homestead – 1900

  12.  The Guilford Dudley House – 1885

  13.  Part of Douglas Center – 1916

  14.  The Dudley Barns – 1900

  15.  The Dudley Pond – 1890s

  16.  South Street – 1916

  17.  Thompson Road –  1916

  18.  Webster Road – 1914

  19.  Douglas Camp Ground – 1915

  20.  Douglas Camp Ground – 1912

  21.  Douglas Camp Ground – 1913

  22.  Douglas Camp Ground – 1913

  23.  Douglas Camp Ground – 1915

  24.  Douglas Camp Ground – 1915

  25.  Douglas Camp Ground – 1915

Volume 19

 
  Old Douglas

  1.  The Meeting House – 1878

  2.  The First Congregational Church – 1890

  3.  Interior of the First Congregational Church – 1890

  3a.  The First Congregational Church – 1905

  4.  The First Congregational Church – 1913

  5.  Old Douglas Center – 1894

  6.  Dedication of the Soldiers' Monument – 1908

  7.  The Soldiers' Monument of Douglas – 1910

  8.  The Common – 1913

  9.  The Douglas Center School – 1826

  10.  Students at the Center School – 1926

  11.  The Douglas Center Post Office – 1906

  12.  Weighing the Load at Manning's Store – 1916

  13.  Delivery Wagons at Manning's Store –  1916

  14.  Woman's Suffrage Campaign – 1915

  15.  Woman's Suffrage Campaign – 1915

  16.  The Douglas Center Post Office – 1913

  17.  Mr. James Daley, Postman – 1915

  18.  Everett Brown and James Daley at Depot – 1915

  19.  The Douglas Center Railroad Station – 1913

  20.  The Douglas Center Railroad Station – 1913

  21.  The Douglas Center Railroad Station – 1895

  22.  The Pastime Club – 1909

  23.  Building a Crushed Rock Road – 1905

  24.  The Stone Crusher – 1905.

  25.  Summer Camps built of Logs – 1880s

Volume 20

 
  Old Douglas

  1.  The Douglas Elms – 1916

  2.  The Douglas Elms – 1913

  3.  The Great Ice Storm – 1921

  4.  The Great Ice Storm – 1921

  5.  The Great Ice Storm – 1921

  6.  The Great Ice Storm – 1921

  7.  The Great Ice Storm – 1921

  8.  The Great Ice Storm – 1921

  The Dudley Farms

  9.  The Dudley Homestead – 1894

  10.  Sunday Afternoon Dinner – 1913

  11.  Neighborhood Gathering – 1913

  12.  The Wedding Party – 1918

  13.  A Hot Day – 1914

  14.  A Hot Day – 1914

  15.  Sledding – 1913

  16.  Buggy Ride – 1910

  17.  The Guilford Dudley House – 1900

  18.  The Dudley Barns – 1900

  19.  Interior of the Dudley Barns – 1901

  20.  Haying – 1898

  21.  Mare and Colt – 1908

  22.  Hay Mound and Sheep – 1916

  23.  Saw Mill – 1900

  24.  Saw Mill – 1900

  25.  Saw Mill – 1900

  26.  Saw Mill – 1900

Volume 21

 
  Newspaper Items – By Categories

  A to E

Volume 22

 

  Newspaper Items – By Categories

  F to P

Volume 23

 

  Newspaper Items – By Categories

  P to W

Volume 24

 
  Various Articles and Items

Volume 25

 
  Various Articles and Items

Volume 26

 
  Various Articles and Items

Volume 27

 
  Newspaper Items compiled by Ms. Etta H. Johnson

  (Donated by Edward F. Murphy)

Volume 28

 
  W.A. Emerson’s History of Douglas – 1879

  Key to reading certain passages

 

A.F. Brown’s History of Douglas – 1889

Key to reading most passages

 

Contents of Collection